By the sea


The weather has been glorious the last week and it has made us abandon projects that we are working on and have some long-needed half-days out. It has really felt as if we have been on holiday!


The tide was out when we visited Charmouth beach, allowing us to take a long walk along the sands.


It was just as well Tavi had a hair cut at the beginning of the week. He loves being in the sea or running on the beach, no matter what time of year it is. Our daughter sometimes complains that when he returns from a walk that he smells very fishy!




Another day we visited Portland.  We went to the newly opened D Day Centre, which we were very impressed with. The slipway and harbour above would have been packed with American GI's before they left these shores to invade France in 1944, such a contrast to the tranquil scene now. The D Day Centre, although small, was packed with exhibits, most of which you could handle. All the American Army vehicles you could climb in and explore, including this tank. (We had Tavi with us so we didn't go in the tank, but did sit in some of the vehicles inside.)



It is always good to learn new facts. Outside the Centre is one of the Mulberry Harbours.  These two concrete blocks were part of a portable harbour that was used in World War II to facilitate the rapid offloading of cargo in 1944.  It is a fascinating story which can be read here.

Since the Mulberry Harbours returned from France they have been a local landmark in Portland Harbour. What I didn't realise however, was that six other  Phoenix Caissons returned to Portland after the War were moved to Holland, following terrible flooding in the North Sea in 1953. I was aware of the dreadful flooding in Canvey Island but wasn't aware of the loss of life at the same time in Holland. The caissons were towed over to Holland  (only 4 made it) and were used to form  a defence against further flooding. They are now part of the Watersnood Museum- the video (although in Dutch) is worth looking at if you are interested.


We decided to take Tavi on a old favourite walk on Portland and although the climb up the hill is steep the views are amazing especially when the sun is shining!


    I always wanted one of the beach huts overlooking the sea!


On other days it has been better to take longer walks in the evening. We sat admiring this view of the River Bride, as it heads out to sea, and were delighted to see a kingfisher fly across the river and head inland. It  appeared out of nowhere and flew so fast, it's plumage matching the amazing colour of the water. This is only the second time we have ever seen one, the last time was in Derbyshire about 15 years ago! I hope I don't have to wait that long to see another one.


 After a hot day at the Bridport Food Festival, an evening walk along the cliffs at West Bay was a great way to cool down. Maybe these images will make you feel refreshed too!




Did anyone attend any of the 120,000 street parties that took place in the UK last weekend?  They were inspired in memory of Jo Cox and were based on the Eden Project Communities Big Lunch project that has been running for about eight years.

Regular readers may remember following my suggestion and with lots of support and enthusiasm our road had a street party.  We had planned for rain or some sunshine but hadn't imagined it would be one of the hottest days of the year! Despite the heat, we managed between us to find enough garden umbrellas to give some shade, and it was lovely for all of us to come together and get to know each other better. Everyone thought it was so worthwhile and our plans are to repeat it again next year, I do recommend doing it too.

A street party wouldn't be complete without a cake this one was produced by our daughter as her contribution!
Hoping you are having a good week and I get around to visiting some blogs this week!

Sarah x

Comments

  1. What a lovely midsummer post. The evening beach photos are glorious. Will have to check out the D Day museum on Portland next time I'm over. Enjoy the heat while it lasts. B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the info about D Day and WWll. Beautiful coastline! Love the post, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous photos, I can well imagine you feel like you're on holiday taking a few days of there. Well done on the street party, and a brilliant cake. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beauty, but the union jack takes the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Beach hut is so cute and the cake looks delicious. It has been a lovely few days a touch too hot for me but I have coped!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Sarah, your photos are gorgeous! And I love the reflections in the dog photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omigosh Tavi is so darling!!! Love the cake and all the views - have a happy week! xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love beach and ocean photos! Thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the photo where everyone is in shilouette whilst the heat from the evening sun still lingers - in fact the heat seems to have been with us for 24 hours a day - I have been seeking shade.
    I wonder if they will be announcing a hose pipe ban any day soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That last photo in particular is beautiful. Sounds like you've been having a lovely time. The street party sounded fab and your daughter's pud looks scrumptious! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dearest Sarah, hello!!!!!!! I heard how hot it's been out in London, but at least you have close access to the beach! Oh what glorious images you have of the water, and I can imagine how Tavi loves to jump in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such wonderful pictures, Sarah! I will be visiting Cornwall in September and have just added the D Day Centre to my list of things to see. The street party was a terrific idea, and your daughter did a great job on the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do take some marvellous photographs Sarah - that second last one being my favourite. Thunder rolls and rain pours down as I write this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning photos, Sarah - and such a treat to see such cool seaside images. I've been stuck in London during these hot days (apart from a trip up the M1 - 8 hours there, thanks to an accident - to clear my son's student accommodation). Gosh I envy you your coastal lifestyle! Your daughter's cake looks so delicious - I bet it tasted good too!! Caro x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to see your summer photos as we are having a dreary winter's day here. The D-centre looks most interesting, and such a great idea to have a street party. Congratulations to your daughter on that cake, it looks magnificent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Once again your post has served to remind me that I should get out more. It's only 20 minutes to the coast from here and when did I last go? Time to rectify that methinks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We really need to make the most of fine weather, we never know how long it will last. Those pictures of the sea are gorgeous and made me want to be there

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Sarah, I know I am not a regular visitor to your blog ... but when I do I always enjoy your posts.
    The photographs here were lovely and in the current hot weather the UK has been experiencing, I did also enjoy the cooler affect of the three last ones, thank you.

    Enjoy the up-coming weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Some lovely pictures again...just beautiful. Do you have a favourite lens when you take photos? You get a great focus and lovely "deep" in your pictures!
    Best wishes for a beautiful weekend now...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just have a simple Canon SX610 HS with a 18* Optical Lens so I don't have interchangeable lens. Sarah x

      Delete
  20. Beautiful summer photos - lovely that you were able to take a break and make the most of the good weather!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am always in awe of your surroundings.

    We really do need to make another visit to England.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous coastal photos. I have missed them, I have just returned to blogging after a six month break and it is so good to be back and visit my favourite blogs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, Sarah, for the beautiful photos of W Dorset, amazing blue colours!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I do feel refreshed after viewing this gorgeous post. Thanks! I am so glad your neighborhood gathering was a success! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are the best thing about blogging so please join in and brighten my day!